Ayurvedic Basics of Oil Pulling
Oil-pulling is essentially Ayurvedic mouthwash. It consists of swishing oil in your mouth for anywhere from 8-20 minutes. The oil you are “pulling” is between your teeth for its many benefits.
On an empty stomach, take about a tablespoon of oil into your mouth. Push, pull, and draw the oil through the teeth, from side to side and front to back, for 8-20 minutes. If you feel the need to spit during this time, spit a little out and keep “pulling.” At the end, the oil will be milky white, thin, and frothy. Spit this out (in a trash bin) and rinse your mouth with water. You can brush your teeth after oil pulling, as they say the oil pulls out toxins, bacteria, pus, and mucous, which is why, they say, the oil gets whitish after swishing it around for 20 minutes. It is said that this should be practiced one to three times daily, but that the best time is in the morning, before breakfast, on an empty stomach.
Swishing triggers the enzymes and the enzymes help to pull toxins out of your blood.
Important: The oil cannot be swallowed because it becomes toxic matter.
It is recommended to buy organic, unrefined, cold-pressed oils with the PRANA the life force of the core essences in the oils still intact. Remember you are putting this oil in your mouth with the intention to detoxify and feel better. Use the best quality oil you can get. You deserve the best oil for your body to gain wellness. Purchase oils that do not contain chemical residues.
In Ayurvedic medicine, it is customarily recommended that certain oils will have different effects. You know your body the best, so you can decide which oil is the best to start with. Avoid all cheap quality oils that you would not even eat. Those include corn oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil and soy oil. Also, avoid flaxseed oil because it can go rancid very fast.
People will have different experiences with each kind of oil. Try experimenting with different types of oils to see which one you feel the best with. You can also try oil pulling at different times of the day. You make like oil pulling for shorter duration or longer, and doing it more or less often. Begin by starting with 10 minutes as your first intention to get used to it.
How to oil pull:
- After brushing your teeth and tongue scraping, take 1 tablespoon of oil in a spoon and put it into your mouth.
- Begin gently swooshing the oil in and around your mouth. It doesn’t have to be a vigorous swish because you’ll be doing it for 8-20 minutes. Allow the oil to circulate your mouth, letting it seep through your teeth. No need to stand in place and stare in the mirror. You can get ready and walk around while doing this so time flies by.
- The oil will double in size in your mouth, so don’t exceed more than 1 tablespoon.
- After you are done, spit out the oil into the trash or your toilet. You want to avoid spitting into the sink because the oil will be full of toxins and actually clog your drain over-time.
- You also want to make sure you don’t swallow any of the oil because it’s filled with your toxicity.
- After spitting, rinse your mouth with warm salt water to gently kill any leftover bacteria.
So why swish oil in your mouth?
- Strengthens teeth and gums and oral health in general
- Cleans the teeth, removing plaque
- helps to alleviate arthritis
- Improves the health of sinuses
- Reduces headaches
- Benefits skin and blood disorders (some accounts claim incredible improvement to psoriasis within just a few days of oil pulling)
- Benefits hormonal balance
- Reduces chronic inflammation in the body, thereby benefiting heart and brain health and, indeed, can be a near-miraculous, panacea-like practice that improves the health of the whole body.
- It is one of the most powerful and effective practices available for detoxifying the body