DID YOU KNOW…
1. Olive oil is one of the healthiest substitute for any fat used in any cooking recipe. Try substituting butter or shortening with olive oil.
2. The olive tree is native to the Mediterranean, where it has been an important part of life for thousands of years.
3. In ancient Greece, women applied Olive oil to their skin after bathing as a protectant and to for its nice fragrance.
4. Olive oil is technically a fruit juice, rather than an oil. The olives are pressed to release their juices, just as an orange or a lemon would be pressed
5. Spain is the largest olive oil producer in the world.
6. Olive oil is high in healthy monounsaturated fats.
7. Most olive oil has 5mg of flavenoid Polyphenols for every 10 grams of oil. These Polyphenols are natural antioxidants that can prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol, and reduce the overall effects of aging.
8. People who live in the Mediterranean countries have some of the lowest mortality rates in the world from cardiovascular-related diseases. There are many pieces of research showing positive links between the Mediterranean diet and olive oil, which is their main source of fat.
9. Olive Oil is the second best selling type of oil and the fastest-growing segment of fats and oils in the United States.
10. Olive Oil can keep for 2 years or more if stored in a cool, dark place. This is longer than any other oil available.
11. It takes 5-8 years for an olive tree to produce its first fruits.
12. There are numerous varieties of olives, and olive oil is the only cooking and salad oil that offers a variety of natural flavors. No two are alike, which makes this oil quite special.
13. You can bake deliciously with olive oil. Substitute the same amount of the fat that is called for with olive oil in your recipe. The result will be moist, event-textured, and a tender crumb.
14. Olive oil is the most easily absorbed edible healthy fat, and it contains no cholesterol.
15. Olive oil is high in healthy monounsaturated fats.